Thursday, February 5, 2009

Susan, the Volunteer:

Here's our first post from Susan, who gets a 100 Hours of Hope tshirt for all her great work:


CCD

This fall I volunteered to teach 6th grade CCD after the first week passed without a teacher. Somebody will do it became I will do it. I have found that I love teaching. I totally missed my calling! Our class is making a huge mural of the Book of Genesis. It is so cool to see the pictures the kids draw as they create scenes from the bible. I have an awesome group of kids.

4-H

Five years ago I volunteered to help decorate the sheep barn for the Countyline Sheep 4-H Club my daughters belong to. Of course that meant it was dumped in my lap. The decorating has been a challenge. It must tie in with the Fair theme. And be something the kids are interested in. And something that can be done by very young members and challenge teen members. The first year we decorated the barn with Serta sheep and won first place! My second year we did Wanted Posters with the sheep in a jail cell (wanted: a buyer) and we won a blue ribbon again!! How cool is that?! The following year went south of the border with Fiesta sheep, 'ole. Yup, it won! Year four was "At The Movies." It was a huge amount of fun & the concept was copied by another club the following year. This past year the Fair theme was, "Make Tracks." Not realizing they meant a moose on a train, our club made animal tracks in the decor. Last year I overheard a judge say about the Movie theme that it was nice but there wasn't anything "4-H." The fifth year we had 88 clovers hanging from the ceiling & crossboards. Plus larger clovers everywhere. Moms & kids were painting & cutting for hours since I buy nothing commercial for my decorating efforts. Other clubs spend up to $300 to decorate the barn and my club keeps expenses at around $30. The early summer meeting is the time kids give their ideas for the Fair display. Hint: I will never do a Harry Potter theme. Sorry. Five years = five blue ribbons. The sixth & final UP State Fair has to be spectacular....hey, that gives me an idea.....


Thanks, Susan! Keep those posts coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment